Saturday, April 5, 2008

Just Give Me Liberation

Derek Webb's I See Things Upside Down is growing on me; while I loved a lot about his first CD, She Must and Shall Go Free, it was hard for me to get past the twang. I know a lot of people love twang, but I am one of the unhappy few who grew up in hicksville and was inoculated against twang. In small doses, I can handle it, but it's never what I prefer to hear. Thankfully, the Nashville influence is less prevalent on the new album; if anything, it seems to lean towards the jazzy side of things.

The track "Medication" is definitely my favorite; it evokes a twilight mood, what I would imagine sitting anonymously in the corner of a jazz lounge would be like. Peaceful, melancholy, a little dim, but comfortable. The chorus, in particular, grabs me. While he may be commenting on Prozac nation, I think the problem he describes may well be the root of all sin for the Christian- our aversion to pain, pain we cannot handle without rock solid comprehension of God's love for us. I'm afraid I opt of for the "medication" far too often.

But I don't want medication
Just give me liberation
Even if it cuts my legs right out from underneath
Don't give me medication
I want the real sensation
Even when living feels just like death to me

No comments: