Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dating Matthew, Mark, and Luke

I'd like to write up my understanding of the formation of the Gospels in the next post or so; I had a great discussion with Chris West and Jenny last night about the subject, and hope to crystalize in my mind what we talked about. It revolved around

1) the destruction of the Temple as a bookend to the writing of the Gospels (and Acts),

2) the (erroneous) notion that the early Christians would not have written down anything until their hopes for an early second coming had been dashed,

3) the nature of what a "gospel" is (and Mark is the only one who calls his account a "gospel"),

4) and the theory of Matthew's priority (as opposed to the currently popular theory of Markan priority).

No time to do so at the moment, but I'd also point interested parties to Redating Matthew, Mark, and Luke by John Wenham. He does a lot with Greek language, but I believe it's readable even to non-Greek students (at least, I didn't read all of the Greek passages he refers to). I'm not actually "currently reading" it- I read it in the fall of 1999 while studing in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was very helpful to me in dealing with the so-called "Synoptic Problem."

No comments: